Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Theology of a one-year-old

Being a dad has many advantages, not least of which is seeing how our kids relate to us - and sometimes it can bring a whole new perspective to how we relate to our heavenly father.

I recorded this event when Oliver was one year old. I've sent it to a few people, but it bears retelling...

The theme of how we cope with the unknown has probably been preached quite enough times, but if we can relate to God as father, then Oliver's teachings of 6AM on a wintry Tuesday morning are invaluable:

I had got up early to make coffee and get ready for work. Oliver had got up with me, and we were pottering around the kitchen. Monica was having a well-deserved few extra minutes of sleep. The kitchen light was on, but all the other lights were still off, so we didn't wake her up.

Suddenly Oliver vanished, and I heard him a few seconds later at the start of the hallway, shouting "Mama! Mama!"

I ambled through and asked "Do you wanted to go and see mummy?" He nodded.

"Go on then." He shook his head. The light from the kitchen just reached where he was standing, but the rest of the hallway and the bedroom were dark.

"Are you worried because it's dark?" I asked. Nod.

"Are you worried because you can't see where you're going?" Another nod.

So I held his hand, and said "Shall we go and see mummy together?" Another nod, and off he went.

Suddenly it didn't matter that it was dark, or that he couldn't see. Daddy was holding his hand, and daddy knew where he was going, so that was OK.

Perhaps I can learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment